Monday, May 15, 2017

Earworms


Earworms are those annoying snippets of songs you can't get out of your head. I was never bothered with them much until I started playing with The Ukes.  It might be our repertoire of hokey old tunes.  


OK, this sounds funny, but you don't know what hell is until you lay awake at 3 am with "Ragtime Cowboy Joe" playing a loop in your brain.  I asked John if I might be going CRAZY? 

The Internet is a hypochondriac's dream, so I Googled "cause cure earworm." On a psychology website, they said that people with "anxious personalities" are more prone to earworms and similar "obsessive thought patterns." Well, tell me something I don't already know.

But I found some interesting cures.  Chewing gum apparently makes them go away.


I finally just made mental peace with the ragtime cowboy and he faded into the background.  That is until yesterday, when we played a snappy version of the song at the SUPA song circle.  Now we're riding down the trail together again.

Speaking of SUPA (Seattle Ukulele Player's Association) it was fun.  Playing with The Ukes once a week has improved my strumming and I don't feel so intimidated in a group.  A few of the West Seattle Ukes were there yesterday, so I even had friends to sit with. I remember the first time I went to SUPA back in 2013, nervously clutching my new ukulele. I could play a grand total of three chords, and was too shy to sing "in public."  My, how we change.


No comments:

Post a Comment