Friday, June 19, 2020

Social distancing



That's Nova and Maya, hanging out safely with their friends on a bike ride last weekend. And showing us that children are sometimes capable of better self-restraint than adults.

I was invited yesterday to a small backyard gathering in the neighborhood. It sounded like a good idea, to break out of this lonely rut and see a few old acquaintances. I left, just as soon as I politely could. No masks, shared buffet finger food and very casual social distancing. Yes, we were outside, but still?

Worst of all, I had to hear various theories (from the Internet, so they must be true, right?)  that Covid fatalities were exaggerated, and it was less dangerous than the flu. Someone said it was "impossible" to get infected outside. I wish that was true, but do we really know?

Everyone there was over 70, so that was interesting. Yes, we all want to believe what makes us happy. Understandably, people are so weary with social isolation. But after all this sacrifice, I'm not ready to throw caution to the winds. Or maybe we've just been living in this safe bubble for too long. I was quite shook up when I got home.

These are confusing times, and the story keeps changing. Have a good weekend.  Be safe. Stay well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment