Thursday, June 11, 2020

One foot in front of the other


I walk the same 2-mile loop almost every day. I could head in any direction and vary the scenery, but after a while, houses are just houses, sidewalks are sidewalks. This way I don't have to make decisions and can think about anything, or better yet, nothing at all.  Walking meditation is easier said than done.

Anyway, I'm not in any worse or better shape than before, so that's something. This outdoor walking is probably healthier than the treadmills at the gym. Wonder if I'll go back when they finally open?

Our local traffic is picking up again, but still nothing like it was before, with cars speeding around these narrow streets in a mad rush. It's still pretty peaceful walking around the neighborhood. I wonder sometimes if this experience will permanently change us, make us kinder, slower, more appreciative of the small things?  Or just make us more scared of each other?

This feeling is irrational like most jealousy, but it seems like other people are starting to get out and do more than us. Travel, see friends and family. We've been sequestered at home for almost 4 months, which starts to change a person. Last night I dreamed we were at Disneyland, no masks, no social distancing, and it felt terrifying. 

2 comments:

  1. You guys should come over and visit the pigs. I have four today but two more (rescues) are coming tomorrow. I'm VLO'd and home taking care of them most days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet they are cute! Enjoy your retirement!

    ReplyDelete