Monday, August 17, 2009

A Poem for Nova

For Nova

That morning you arrived,
You were our bright summer star.
And I drove East to greet you,
Body, Mind, Spirit--
With a prayer for every mile.

Time passed. Road and silence.
Mountains, rocks, fields,
The occasional gift of horses grazing.
And finally, clear desert light
Above the ancient river.

Then your Mother's call, at last!
Wonder and tears
Turning a roadside nowhere into Somewhere.
Oh, you thrilled us
With your big entrance: Here I Am.

So, an old story but still a fresh miracle.
And I arrived at a new place, too.
A little hand to hold,
Precious life to cherish,
The circle complete.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Mom! Both Nova and I are weeping right now, her due to a freshly pooped diaper :) and me because that is such a beautiful, wonderful poem. WOW!! What a special gift for us this morning!! Thank you Mom for the lovliest gift of your words and all the love and support a mother and grandmother could give... We love you with all our hearts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you've both got me crying! What a wonderful visual tour of love you took me on. I so envy those who can write with such eloquence and emotion. Thanks for making my day.
    Terri
    PS Congrats to you Amanda on your beautiful girl. I can't wait to hold her. You have to share, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Terri and Amanda for such sweet comments, which made my day (along with this precious little girl)

    ReplyDelete