Friday, August 21, 2009

Early morning work


I usually do some canning every summer, depending on how ambitious I feel and what produce looks good. I don't waste time canning tomatoes and peaches, which are fine from the store, but just make a few special things I can't buy or cost a fortune for a tiny jar. (Although if I lived in the Methow Valley and had access to all that wonderful organic produce, I'm sure I'd be inspired to preserve more.)

I'm bragging a bit now, but my friends will tell you I'm famous for my home made chutneys. My kitchen is small, and canning is somewhat of a meditative activity for me, so I only do it when there is no one home. And that means you, John! :-) Hiding in the basement does not count, the house must be quiet and empty. Since I am a weird morning person, I get fueled up on strong coffee and often putter around early doing housework. I was in the mood today because the weather suddenly feels like fall, making you want to stash some food away. These are pickled "dilly" beans and spicy asparagus. A bit of work, but worth it when you open one of these jars for the Thanksgiving relish tray.

No comments:

Post a Comment