Monday, August 17, 2009

Begonias and babies

Some things in life (like all babies and certain flowers) are worth the long wait.

I like begonias, even though it seems frustratingly slow to grow them. But the reward comes in late August when an ugly looking plant turns into something spectacular.
In Seattle, we're not tormented by hard storms, drying wind, or hail in the summer. So the delicate, juicy begonias love this climate. It just takes them a while to realize this. I bought these bulbs at Costco in February, and planted them outside in pots where they did absolutely nothing for the next 5 months. The squirrels dug up and destroyed a few, but at last--- here's the reward.

After 4 hours of driving, this was a pretty sight when we got home on Sturday. Thank you John, for watering pots while I was away. I love looking out the kitchen window and seeing these planters on the deck railing. I know... begonias are a bit old-ladyish, but hey, I'm a Grandma now!

No comments:

Post a Comment