Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Lost and found



The other day I was searching for something and found this linen tablecloth, embroidered about 40 years ago. Sure I was busy back then with family and job, but still found time to sit and focus on satisfying projects like that. 

My attention span seems so short these days and suppose I'm not alone. Our devices are a constant distraction-- an addiction, really, wiring our brains to crave instant stimulation.  We have no one to blame but ourselves. The daily paper and evening news was once considered plenty of information. It's barely 7 am, and I've already been messing around on the computer for a couple of hours.

Anyway. Linen yellows with age and the tablecloth also had some set-in food stains. I recently discovered "Oxiclean" powder (thanks Amanda) so I soaked it in a bucket of water with about a half cup. After an hour the water tuned grey and every spot was gone. I can't say enough good things about this stuff, especially for yellowed whites or vintage linens. (They should send me a box for this free commercial.)

Being a natural early riser and semi-insomniac, the fall time change is difficult. When I'm awake, that's usually it, even it it happens to be 3 or 4 am. Unlike those lucky people who can roll over and enjoy the extra hour of sleep. Then the evenings are dark and I'm tired, so I fall asleep too early and the cycle repeats. I know, poor me. Some people have real problems in life.

There's a cold north wind blowing down from Canada this morning and the weather is more like mid-winter than early November. Just 3 weeks ago it was 88 in Seattle! But at least the sun will be out later. 

We have some pretty white lights up and they make the dark afternoon more cheerful at wine time. 




No comments:

Post a Comment