Friday, November 18, 2022

Cont alt delete

 

I don't use Microsoft Windows anymore and would be lost on a PC now. John gave me an Apple laptop for Christmas years ago. So I went over to the other side, kicking and screaming at the time. I loved my Viao laptop (until I didn't.) 

There's all sorts of excellent and much cheaper hardware out there, but the advantage of Apple is how effortlessly their sleek gadgetry sets up and goes together. The store looks like a sparkling candy shop. Then you're hooked, their intention all along.

Our TV (basically an old computer) decided to work again, reminding me of all those "warm" and "cold" boots. Back in the 90's, slaving away on Microsoft research, rebooting was the common PC fix. The dang things were always seizing up, so you would crawl under your desk and yank the plug out of the wall. Losing any unsaved work in the process.

That was always the last resort before calling Microsoft internal technical support-- the most insufferable, mansplaining, know-it-alls in corporate history. OK, I'm exaggerating, but they did have a knack for making a lowly librarian feel dumb. The programmers (99% of them male) were the alpha dogs at Microsoft. 

This is not an ordinary Friday! We never go downtown on weekdays, but John bought surprise tickets to a noon symphony performance of Scheherazade, by Rimsky-Korsakov. An old chestnut but I never get tired of daydreaming through that beautiful evocative music. We haven't been inside the Pike Place Market since before the pandemic, so hoping to forage a bowl of clam chowder before the show. 

Have a good weekend. We're enjoying the last cold sunny day for a long time to come. Rain is knocking on the front door again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment