Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Turkey and stuff




Turkey was once the ultimate in luxury meat-- a huge treat only on Thanksgiving.  In 1950, America’s per-capita turkey consumption was just 5.5 pounds. Nowadays, that number is over 16 pounds. Turkeys keep getting bigger and cheaper (I'll spare you the details) but the average weight has gone from 15.1 pounds in 1960 to 31.1 pounds in 2017.

Turkey dinners aren't expensive or particularly complicated, but if you've ever cooked one from scratch, you know they're a lot of work. It helps to like cooking, because the main challenge is getting everything on the table at the same time. Tricky, especially with pan gravy.

Hence the popularity of those pre-cooked dinners you pick up at the grocery store. I suppose the microwave goes on overtime to get everything heated up, which doesn't sound very festive.  I also read once that those meals are cooked in bulk and then refrigerated for many days in advance before you pick them up. Nothing is spoiled (hopefully) but nothing especially fresh, either. No, thanks.

Speaking of spoiled, I bought a bag of organic romaine lettuce hearts yesterday morning, then found out when I got home the CDC says to throw it all out. I'm tempted to take it back to Trader Joes, really, they should have known about that. And I thought I was finally done with the grocery store. Ha!

Well, today is pie day, better get busy.




No comments:

Post a Comment