Monday, November 12, 2018

Food shopping


Safeway had smoked spiral sliced ham for $1.50 a pound this week. I love food shopping before the holidays, so many good specials and I stock up on all sorts of things.

We like ham and I bought mostly one for the leftovers. John takes a sandwich to work every day, and I get tired of buying that expensive (and not very good) Oscar Meyer lunch meat. I'm sure he gets tired of eating it, too. 

My, what a delicious ham. I threw out that packet of brown sugar powder and made a fresh glaze with spicy mustard and Bonne Maman apricot jam. As we watched the Seahawks lose (again) it smelled scrumptious. An embarrassing amount of food for two, but in honor of the poor factory raised pig, not a scrap will be wasted.


“It was wonderful, of course-- 
ham with mustard is a meal of glory.”
Dodie Smith, from I Capture the Castle. 

Ham sandwiches, bean soup, ham and eggs, split pea soup, minestrone, omelettes, scalloped potatoes, casseroles, etc. etc.  Is there anything you can't do with ham? Hooray for my little freezer.


The weather has been really nice for November, so far.  Quite dry, actually, in what is usually our wettest month.  Morning fog and chilly temperatures, but lots of afternoon sunshine.  I took advantage of it yesterday and put the lights up on the back arbor.

Nice to have that annual chore done, and it brightens up the dark times. With a ham in the oven and a turkey in the freezer, definitely a holiday feeling starting up around here.


No comments:

Post a Comment