Monday, March 6, 2017

Let there be light

Sunshine came softly through my a-window today
Could've tripped out easy but I've a-changed my ways...

Sunshine Superman
Donovan

For a few minutes on Sunday morning, the sun lit up the house along with all the winter dust. I was in the kitchen making pancakes with the first California strawberries. I'm surprised that fruit is ripening down there, after such a wet and stormy winter.

Of course we can get almost any fruit year round now, but it isn't the same.  I even bought an 80 cent mango from Peru last week. The things we take for granted.  California isn't exactly local either, but the first strawberries taste good because we haven't had any all winter.

Pancakes made with diced, fresh strawberries are so good.  I think even better than blueberries-- try it.  Of course, a bit of Jimmy Dean sausage helps a carb breakfast along.


Spring is trying its darnedest.  The crocus and daffodils are begging for just one warm day to pop open.


On Saturday, I went to the Day of Mindfulness retreat at the Good Shepard Center in Wallingford. This grim-looking building was once a girl's boarding school and orphanage. It's been designated now as a historic Seattle landmark (somewhat crumbling) and divided up into a multi-purpose facility with different non-profit offices.  

We met in a room on the 4th floor.  There were about 40 participants, so this was much larger than a similar retreat I did last year.  Like Catholic schoolgirls, we trouped up and down 8 flights for the "walking meditation" sessions on the grounds. For some strange reason it wasn't raining, and I enjoyed walking oh-so-slowly around the gardens, checking out signs of early spring. It was the best part of the day. The rest of the time we sat in (mostly) silent mediation. I know this sounds tedious, not to mention somewhat self-indulgent.    

But the purpose of mindfulness practice is make you less self involved by paying attention to thoughts and feelings without judging-- then letting them go.  And being aware of what's happening in the present moment, instead of sleep walking through life.  Easier said than done.  The less enlightened of us were either drowsy or pretty antsy by the end of the day.

Still, it was worthwhile, although I'm not sure I got my money's worth on the mindful part.  I forgot my meditation cushion when I left.  Ha.

2 comments:

  1. Strawberries all winter. Raspberries and blackberries too. Blueberries and mangoes most of the time. We like it here. No pancakes unfortunately; I have been too lazy to make them.

    ReplyDelete