Saturday, July 27, 2024

Day to myself

 

Nice fruit from Lone Pine, where I stopped yesterday as usual for rest and snack. There was heavy traffic all the way and being a Friday in high season, to be expected. Amanda and the family are in Wenatchee today so I'll poke around town and go to the Farmers Market. I have not been once this summer. 

I took an early walk with my friend Karen, and she is busy this weekend with guests. The summer is short, and so many activities are crammed into just a few weeks. Wild fire smoke is the wild card, but so far the Valley has escaped the worst. The temperature is pleasant.

I slept until 6:30 this morning, which is quite unusual. The house is peaceful and looks exactly as I left it. The locals are coming down to our riverfront in this hot weather, who can blame them? But I was a little startled yesterday seeing three men lounging in the beach chairs. This never happened before, and I went down for a chat. One of them is a neighbor I know, who had brought his visiting 98 year old friend. All good. 

Before this house was built, it was the custom to access the river here, so short of putting up a fence and ugly signs there's no point of fighting it.  As long as they keep dogs on a leash and don't litter--- it feels like an invasion of privacy when folks stay for a long time, but that rarely happens. 

Anyway, enough trivial ownership issues. We are lucky to own this special dot of land, right in town, and to feel like part of the community, even though we are part-timers. We own that to our family connections.

I dropped by a concert at Twisp Works last night after dinner, but just stayed for a bit. I was tired from the drive and the music was pretty loud. But it was fun watching families out and about. Everyone knows everyone.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment