Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Arborvitae Thuja

 

Instead of going downstairs and watching depressing news, I've been sitting outside after dinner finishing my wine while John cleans up the kitchen. This is very nice. There's only a few weeks in the year when it's warm and dry enough.

I can contemplate the planting mistakes and successes I've made over the years. These beautiful trees started out gallon size, and over the decades they've grown into a beautiful garden wall separating our property from next door. 

At some point, the old single story house over there will get torn down to build something enormous, most likely multiple townhouses, since that's the current trend.  Maybe these trees will be a visual break from whatever is looming over us.

 Just like these Leyland Cypress I planted to hide the ADU across the alley. These must be kept pruned, but cutting back the slow growing Thuja just makes an ugly hole that never fills in. When the times comes John can no longer push the mover past them, I'll just nip in the garden bed by a few feet. Not a bad idea, because those big flower beds are getting to be a huge amount of work. 


No comments:

Post a Comment