Thursday, February 4, 2021

Cheerful sights


With sub-zero temperatures and blizzard across the middle of the country, we should not complain about days of rain. I spotted this patch of crocus on my walk in the bright February light. Amazing how a bit of sunshine lifts the spirits. 

And in the yard, everything springing to life.  Camellias thrive in our mild Seattle climate, and are always the first to bloom.

Today Mr. Nguyen comes to give an estimate for trimming the top of the Leyland Cypress. Be careful what you wish for.  I certainly have my (high maintenance) privacy screen now!

You notice the green figs still hanging in the tree? We never had a freeze, so they didn't rot and fall to the ground like usual.

What a messy and basically useless tree. I spent an hour on my hands and knees yesterday cutting back all the suckers around the base. Perhaps my least favorite garden job of the year, so nice to have it out of the way.

And look at this. Hardly a square inch in the flower beds where something isn't coming up. What was I thinking, impulsively ordering those big new lilies?
Pretty and peaceful. I love early garden work and the rare blue sky was such a treat.  I sat for a while on the bench in front of the house listening to the busy birds.


No comments:

Post a Comment