Friday, February 26, 2021

Birthdays and Snow Moon

 


Looking at some old family photos yesterday, I was stuck by the fact that our dad's mother was born in the late 1800's. It's amazing I can remember a grandma so well, who lived two centuries ago. How many people can say that? Pretty neat. She passed away in the 1970's. My goodness, lucky me, I've lived a long time. (And if I can stay marbled, hope to keep going for a while longer.)

About the time Grammy was born, the first phonograph was invented and Edison formed the first electric company in Manhattan. The lights came on for a handful of rich people, but it would be another 50 years before even half of American homes had electricity. She was born in a world so different from ours, it might have been the Stone Age. But definitely a slower and sweeter age in many ways.

Well, there's a helluva big moon setting right now behind the Olympic Mountains. It's shining through a little slot in the clouds like a giant lamp. This is the February Snow Moon. Another cold morning in Seattle and the snow in the mountains still piling up by the foot. Spring is late this year.

Have a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment