Thursday, December 3, 2009

Turkey bone soup

I know many people make it, but I usually don't go to the trouble to boil down the turkey carcass. I put some leftover meat in the freezer for other meals (like curry) and call it a day. But we had a tasty brown 18 pound turkey on Saturday, cooked for 5 hours in the convection oven. So, I packed all the dark skin and caramelized bones in a big pan with a whole unpeeled onion, celery, parsley, seasonings, and set it on low simmer while I went over to see Sizzle on Sunday morning. And after many hours, I had a pretty nice broth.

Later I strained the whole mess through a fine colander, but couldn't quite stomach picking through it for bits of meat. So I threw the lump in the compost, and made some fresh Italian style meatballs with ground turkey. What a nice soup with pasta and and fresh vegetables, topped with Parmesan cheese. John gobbled it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment