Saturday, December 5, 2009

Poinsettias

Houseplants don't die on me very often, so I tend to take it personally when they do. Last week I came home from Home Depot gloating over my big $3.99 white poinsettia, but it collapsed in three days. It probably had root rot, or got too cold when it went from greenhouse to store. Oh well, just another reminder why I don't like Home Depot... I should take it back, but it isn't worth the aggravation for $4.
Yesterday I bought another at the QFC (Kroger) grocery store. It's smaller and cost more, but the "bracts" are really unique, like they were spattered with a paintbrush. Poinsettias used to just come in red and white, but the plant breeders have been been creative over the years.

We think of them as Christmas flowers, but actually they're delicate tropicals that hate cold weather. If you buy one this year, here's a
good website all about caring for poinsettias. They look poisonous and many people can't be convinced otherwise, but this is a myth. There's all sorts of advice out there on how to get them to bloom "again," but honestly-- a poinsettia is the last thing I want to look at on Labor day.

No comments:

Post a Comment