Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Scenes from a long ago Christmas

Some sweet family pictures from long ago. Above is Christmas Eve at our Grandma and Grandpa's house. Left to right... my sister Marji, me, our Grandma Dutzie, rosy-cheeked brother Dave. I think Dutzie made us sock monkeys that year.

Christmas morning at home under the tree. Left to right... me, Dave (being kind of bratty with that bus!) and my sister Marji. Both of us with our new dolls. I remember holding my Betsy Wetsy like it was yesterday.

And playing in the parlor at Grammy's farm on Christmas day: Marji, Uncle Harvey with his cigar, our cousin Brian, Aunt Gladys, and me. Many happy memories of the dear ones no longer with us...
"Each Christmas I remember
The ones of long ago;
I see our mantelpiece adorned
With stockings in a row. Each Christmas finds me dreaming
Of days that used to be,
When we hid presents here and there,
For all the family. Each Christmas I remember
The fragrance in the air,
Of roasting turkey and mince pies
And cookies everywhere.
Each Christmas finds me longing
For Christmases now past,
And I am back in childhood
As long as memories last."
Carice Williams, Christmas Past

No comments:

Post a Comment