Wednesday, April 5, 2023

National Walking Day


Always the first Wednesday in April, National Walking Day was created in 2007 by the American Heart Association. The goal is 30 minutes a day for better health, which doesn't sound like much. 

The average American walks about 3,000 steps a day. Europeans walk far more, and in Japan they average 7,000 steps a day. People who live in dense urban areas tend to walk more simply because there's more places to walk to. In the suburbs, every errand requires a car. 

I'm off to the Cafe this morning and will walk home at noon, unless it's pouring rain then John picks me up. 

I sense that volunteers don't stick around long in the Cafe. The work is physically too hard for most seniors, and to be perfectly honest, not especially gratifying when you get ordered around like a waitress at Dennys.

Well, this isn't my forever job. I've enjoyed learning how commercial kitchens work, and now that I have a routine going, it isn't quite as tiring. Although I'm on my feet for 3 hours.

Most of the Wednesday regulars are nice, others not so much. I see many seniors (actually, most) in poor health or troubled with big problems they are happy to share, so I shouldn't judge. But so much for those old school manners you would expect from this demographic.

We got an estimate for new cedar fencing yesterday. Pricey, but not quite as expensive as we expected, and it should make a big difference. Instead of same old mossy lattice, we're going with a top design like this.


No comments:

Post a Comment