Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Back to city life

 

A cute photo of the West Seattle Ukulele Players a few weeks ago, all of us bundled up under the heat lamp at C&P Coffee House. Warmer weather is finally just ahead, so I guess we'll start rotating to other outdoor locations like Aki Beach. 

I can't remember ever being "hot" along the shore of cold Puget Sound, but it's pleasant if the wind isn't blowing. In the summer, good luck finding a parking place down there when the beach turns into a Northwest version of Coney Island.

Anyway, back to other routines. Other than a stretch of blinding rain in North Bend (an unpleasant micro-climate, where wet clouds off the Pacific hit the mountains) the roads were dry and still relatively uncrowded. 

The intersection of I-90 and I-5 looked like a massive open garbage dump from the homeless encampments all along the freeway. What a sight, after so much beautiful nature. Welcome to Seattle.

The first 35 miles down the valley from Twisp to Pateros are my favorite part of the drive in early morning. I go about the speed limit, keeping an eye out for deer. I usually have the road to myself, but pulled over yesterday to let two massive RV rigs by going 70 miles an hour. The shape of things to come, when tourist season gets rolling. 

When I pulled up in front of the house, my neighbor rushed over and said, "It's going to be HOT!" 

I said, "Define hot." When it gets over 75 here, the heat whining starts in.


No comments:

Post a Comment