Friday, March 18, 2022

Hills to climb

 

West Seattle is hilly, although a lazy walker can avoid most of them. This is my 3rd year walking the same neighborhood loop, mostly on the flat. I know, boring, although there's something meditative about watching the same plants, flowers and trees cycle through the seasons. I plug in the Airpods, get lost in my music and try not to think. Just one foot in front of the other.

Nature changes by the week, but some houses I walk by have not changed an iota in 3 years. The same car always in the driveway, the blinds down, the yard a sad mess. People live there, and you hope the life inside isn't as neglected as the property.

The first year of the pandemic I missed my gym and couldn't wait to go back. The second year not so much, and now-- nope. In fact, it's right up there with bars, in terms of places I'd least like to go. I have hand weights and do stretches, I walk almost every day. Still, I suppose a person should push themselves a bit beyond the comfort zone.

The girls are so strong and fit they can run up steep mountains. It's a beautiful sight. Amanda and Tom are also extremely athletic from year-round outdoor activities. There's no way I could keep up with that crew, but don't want to trail too far behind either. I've added a couple of hills to my daily walk.

We're off to Twisp. Weather looks just rainy over the passes today.

Have a good weekend.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment