Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Fall glory

This is a glorious "Hydrangea Panicle," one of the more unusual varieties I see on my walks. Hydrangeas sometimes turn these perfect fall colors in cool, dry weather. 

Like peonies, hydrangeas live a long time, and we still have one that was here 1980. One of the few plants left in the yard from those ancient days. I like the way hydrangeas fill in the flower beds, and I've planted several recently.

I gathered up basket of flowers yesterday for the front porch.  We've had a lovely, lucky stretch of mild weather, with sunny afternoons after the fog burns off.  I'm trying to make the best of these last few pleasant days to work in the garden. A typical fall storm arrives with rain and wind this weekend.

Speaking of lucky, Amanda, Tom and the girls took a well-deserved vacation this week at Olympic National Park. They have not left the Methow Valley since last December, other than a couple of quick trips to Wenatchee. Flip flops and shorts at the Washington coast in October?  Incredible. 




No comments:

Post a Comment