Friday, August 25, 2017

Win some, lose some

 Are we having fun yet?

When I got to Wenatchee yesterday, I checked the WASHDOT website for both Snoqualmie and Stevens Passes.  Drat!  All routes over the Cascades showed "significant" construction delays.  I basically flipped a coin and went with Stevens Pass.

Bad luck. It was bumper-to-bumper traffic for 80 miles,  from the top of the mountains to downtown Seattle. The traffic stretched forever in both directions as we crawled single file over long stretches of unpaved gravel. Adding insult to injury, a speeding truck sprayed my poor little car with a shower of rocks, leaving at least one big chip on the windshield.  After the car wash, I'll see what other damage is hiding under all the dirt. 

Oh well.  At least I arrived home under my own power, all in one piece (missing a chip or so.) You can't ask for more than that.  But by then it was 4 pm, over 6 hours on the road with an apple for lunch.  I listened to podcasts to pass the time. If you enjoy them, I highly recommend Malcolm Gladwell's Revisionist History

I thought we both deserved a good dinner, since John subsists mostly on teriyaki when I'm away.  I'd bought sweet corn at a produce stand, and then picked up T-bone steaks at Safeway.

It feels good to be home, but Seattle is dry, dry, dry.  We've only had one little drizzle of rain since early June, so going on 3 months without precipitation.

And poor Texas, getting hit with as much rain this weekend as Seattle sees in an entire year. Send some Harvey our way. This is the driest summer in 100 years.




No comments:

Post a Comment