Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Brown pasta


About a year ago I switched from white pasta to whole grain.  Getting used to the taste and texture of whole wheat pasta takes a little time, thanks to its stronger flavor and more grainy consistency. You won't find the option on most restaurant menus, and forget about it in traditional Italian establishments.  To homemade pasta makers and purists, dried Barilla whole grain would be like putting sauce on shredded sandpaper.

I can't speak for John (a pasta traditionalist) but now I actually prefer it.  At least most of the time.  Or maybe I've just talked myself into it. Every now and then I'll have a bowl of silky white noodles and my mouth goes, "Aha!"  It's the difference between a fresh baguette and a gritty slice of Dave's Killer Bread.


Good for you, but?  Humans are hard-wired to to crave soft, sweet food.  Most kids, including Nova and Maya, love sliced white bread.


But you can't beat this for a guilt-free, weekday pasta dinner: Thin whole grain spaghetti, fresh tomatoes, basil and garlic sauteed with good olive oil.  A grilled Isernio sausage, our best local brand, is the highlight as far as I'm concerned.  


It's awfully grey and dark for August, with another creepy sunrise.  The smoke is worse again today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment