Thursday, January 9, 2014

Valium's "cousin"

I asked the anesthesiologist what he was giving me yesterday before the operation and he said, "a 'cousin' of Valium, and Demerol."  Well, that did the trick.  A old-fashioned narcotic pain reliever addicts go crazy for coupled with a muscle relaxant.  The 30 minute operation flew by in about 60 seconds. Amnesia is the desired effect of sedation.

The good thing about sedation and local anesthesia is I was cleared to leave about 15 minutes after. Of course a "responsible adult" like John had to sign me out since "judgement and motor skills" are impaired for 24 hours.  I vaguely remember going though the McDonald's drive through, but that's it for the drive home. They tell you not to make any big decisions that day. Deciding on an egg McMuffin was challenging enough.

Today I'm getting by OK with just some Advil.  That's the good news. But things that usually drive me crazy like unmade beds and dished in the sink don't seem to register.  Must be the residual effect of those nice drugs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment