Friday, January 3, 2014

Blog2Print

I've been writing Feathers and Flowers since 2009, with a grand total of 1,470 (almost) daily posts.  My heartfelt thanks for your kind words of encouragement and appreciation.  Blogging is a lonely pastime.  Some blogs may number their followers in the thousands, but my handful of family and friends means more than a bunch of strangers checking in on our lives.  There's something a little creepy about that, anyway.  Besides, blogs like Feathers and Flowers have become as old-fashioned as email and I'll never have that kind of following.

Who cares? I've thought of trying to update to more "interesting" topics,  but Feathers and Flowers will stay the same.  Like my hairstyle. And if I repeat myself as the years go by, so be it.  Nature is repetition.  

The entire blog archive squats somewhere on Google-- that is, for as long as I add $2.70 a month to Google Wallet for "data storage." And when I'm gone?  Well, in a few generations we'll all be forgotten anyway.  I've always thought that self-publishing was the pinnacle of vanity, but archivists do love their paper, and a company called Blog2Print lets you design and order a book of your blog, including all the posts and pictures.

It isn't perfect, but still kind of fun to see all that work "in print."  And so that's what I've done every six months, for a total of eight hardcover Feathers and Flowers books on the shelf.  Maybe Nova and Maya's children will look at them someday?  As a favored customer, Blog2Print just sent me a 15% off coupon. I'm stuck home with a cold, so that's my computer project for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment