Saturday, January 25, 2014

Catching up


The old hand is slowly improving and I can close my fingers now if I'm very careful.  On Thursday I got carried away with a marathon session on the trackpad, so I took a break from the computer yesterday.

Aperture sucked me in with a fascinating face recognition feature.  Slick as it is, the software doesn't distinguish that well between fathers and sons and mothers and daughters.  (Yes, proof that you really are becoming your parent!)  Sometimes Aperture also confuses flower closeups for baby faces, and then wants to know if that white dahlia is Nova or Maya?  Which is kind of sweet I guess, until it becomes annoying.  To make a long story short, we have over 1400 pictures of Nova and 270 of Maya.  Maya has some catching up to do.

And then the ukulele, which has been collecting dust for a couple of weeks.  My favorite workbook at the moment is Easy Classical Ukulele Solos.  It contains classics such as In the Hall of the Mountain King and the 1812 Overture brilliantly transcribed for the ukulele with fingerpicking tabs.  Someone in this house made a snide comment that these orchestral works were probably not written with the ukulele in mind. And how will I do the "cannon part?" I suppose Mr. Greig and Mr. Tchaikovsky are past caring that their masterpieces are plinked out by a beginner on a ukulele.

Another cold, foggy morning in Seattle! This stretch of strange, dry weather seems endless. But who cares? We'll be inside at the Symphony tomorrow afternoon, where unfortunately there won't be any ukuleles on the stage.  Have a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment