Thursday, January 16, 2014

Good riddance

Everybody needs a little time away
I heard her say, from each other- 
Even lovers need a holiday, 
Far away from each other...

Chicago, lyrics

Eight days is a long time to keep your right hand dry.  But it's surprising what you can learn to do with your left.  Needs must when the devil drives.

I wasn't in much pain, so the small things really aggravated by the end of the week.  Like not washing my hands when I came home from the grocery store. Stirring pots with one hand.  Not able to hold a brush and blow dry my hair. I decided to treat myself to some salon shampoos and styles but those girls got fancy. I haven't had the top of my head comb-teased since 10th grade! Well, they meant well and just wanted to give me my money's worth.

Anyway, this is all trivial history. The bandage came off this morning, and the stitches came out. Ouch.


My surgeon is one of those who likes to sketch out what he plans to do.  I didn't have a problem with that, but why does he use indelible ink?  I wasn't going to jump up and wash it off before the operation! So I felt a bit tattooed.  And bruised. But everything looks good today. The cysts on the base of my fingers have vanished, and this tendon operation is supposedly a permanent fix for pesky trigger fingers.   Doctor says I will be "aware" of my hand (meaning painful) for about three months but self-therapy should eventually do the trick.  The therapy is simple.  It consists of making your fingers do what is painful three or four times a day.

I have to admit, life felt empty this week without my daily blog habit. Coffee and TV couldn't quite fill the early morning void.  Which I guess is the point of a vacation, to come back refreshed to something you enjoy.

Did you miss me?  What an egotistical thing to say! But after all these years, I hope you did, just a little. The holiday is over, and the bathroom needs a good scrubbing.

1 comment:

  1. Yes we missed you. But your health is more important. Lucky he did not draw a happy face;

    ReplyDelete