Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The winter that wasn't



But it don't snow here
It stays pretty green
I'm going to make a lot of money
Then I'm going to quit this crazy scene
I wish I had a river
I could skate away on
I wish I had a river so long
I would teach my feet to fly
Oh I wish I had a river
I could skate away on...

Joni Mitchell

Now I have to take back the bad things I've been saying about the weather.  Yesterday was unexpectedly spring-like with sunny blue skies and not a wisp of fog in Seattle.


The daylight hours are noticeably longer, and the first tulips are showing above the ground.  Here's some beautiful January scenes from a different time and place.

William John Hennessy
Out and About After a Snowfall

Regis Francoise Gignoux
Skaters on a Frozen Pond

Thomas Kirby Van Zandt
Judge Van Aernum in his Sleigh, 1855

John O'Brien Inman
Moonlight Skating in Central Park

Attributed to Winslow Homer
Skaters

William Charles Anthony
Skating in Winter

Edward Moran
Farm in Winter

Hendrick Avercamp
Winter Landscape

No comments:

Post a Comment