Monday, March 4, 2013

Flower power

A house with daffodils in it is a house lit up,
whether or no the sun is shining outside.
A.A. Milne 

The weather is cold in Seattle, but at least the sun was out on Sunday. The high today will be about 50 degrees, which is the overnight low in Palm Springs this time of year.  But still, there's seasonal change in just one week of being away. And the bright light streaming in the windows always makes you notice familiar things from a fresh perspective.  Spring and vacation have the same effect.

Along with nice memories, we brought something else back from California-- head colds. So instead of attacking a garden project as I usually would on a nice March day, I shuffled around the house yesterday feeling sorry for myself doing load after load of laundry. Why can I never learn to pack light?

The first brilliant clump of blooming daffodils was a nice surprise when I did head outside, so I cut a big bunch for the house. I told John there will be something to pick from now until November, a happy thought.  I just read in a magazine that Rutgers University did a behavioral study that explored the link between flowers and life satisfaction.  They found that flowers are a "natural and healthful moderator of moods." I hope Rutgers didn't spend too much studying what seems like common sense.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you; I found and sent the article to R; I am sure she we will like it.

    Hope you get over your colds quickly.

    ReplyDelete