Saturday, April 21, 2012

A walking antique


"Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden Change."
Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

For ten years, I worked for a software company that relentlessly broke perfectly good products so they could be fixed again. Or I should say, improved.  There's nothing wrong with this, otherwise there wouldn't be progress and the world would still be puzzling over the DOS interface or tapping away at Microsoft Word, version 1.1. 

Change happens whether we want it or not, and the first response is usually panic followed by the fight or flight reflex.  Such was my reaction when I logged on to good old Blogger yesterday to write a post, and was confronted with a mystifying and complicated new set of screens.  Google, in their great wisdom (or maybe lack of better things for the geniuses in Mountain View to work on) redesigned the our beloved and familiar Blogger user interface to enhance "dynamic views" and "mobile blogging" from smart devices. 

Being an old-fashioned, sit in front of the PC type of writer, these improvements won't make my life any easier. Instead I'll be struggling to learn again what had become blissfully automatic over three years of writing Feathers and Flowers.  Bear with me if things are not as tidy as usual. This is behind the scenes angst that will hopefully be invisible to my dear readers. Except when I decide to vent my frustration on an early Saturday morning.  I did a little Google search, and there is a great howl of frustration going up on the Blog-o-sphere right now.  Apparently I'm not the only walking antique who hates change.



No comments:

Post a Comment