Saturday, April 28, 2012

Happy sightings

The Plum Tree, by Katherine Ace, Source: A Study in Contrasts
When I woke up around 4 this morning, the robin was already making so much noise I didn't even try to go back to sleep.  I lay there and listened for a while until I started wanting coffee and got up.  For a little city lot, we have a surprising variety of birds, especially in the spring.

We hear the birds more than see them, because they like to hang out in the overgrown holly tree and laurel hedge. It takes real persistence to identify them, except for that sudden flash of yellow which can only be the American Goldfinch. The Goldfinch is Washington's state bird, and Birds of Seattle says they are "common" here in the summer months.  I wish they were a little more "common" because it's always a big deal to see one in the yard, and we had two sightings this week.

So what's on for the weekend? It rained every day this week, and the lawn (and the weeds) grew amazingly. But I'm headed out to the foothills to spoil Tobey this morning. Salmon for dinner tonight on my wonderful new grill. We're half-way through a bad movie. Tomorrow we'll see some old friends in the afternoon.  John probably has important knife sharpening chores in the basement.  Nothing exciting going on-- just quiet, good stuff.  I hope you have a great weekend.

Photo by Ken Thomas, Source: Wiki

No comments:

Post a Comment