Monday, May 9, 2011

Podium puppies

Jakub Hrusa

At the tender age of 29, this brilliant young man conducts major symphony orchestras all over the world. Yesterday he lead the Seattle Symphony in a program that included Hayden's Symphony #60 and Shostakovitch's Piano Concerto #1, played by Vladimir Feltsman.

One of the advantages of sitting in the 4th row is being able to watch the subtle goings-on in the orchestra and speculate about what it means. I love music but don't play an instrument, so in a way classical performance will always be in a foreign language. But the language of people watching is universal, and it helps pass the time during those long unfamiliar pieces. Of course I'm speaking for myself, because I know John is seriously listening to the music while I'm noticing the concertmaster lift an eyebrow, or the cellist keeping his eyes glued to the score while the guest conductor has histrionics on the podium. (I'm not sure men can even see these things. Bless their hearts.)

We've had two young guest conductors at the Symphony in the past few weeks. One was Greek, one was Czech-- and they could not have been more different. Teodor Currentzis received a scathing review in our local paper for his loud and egotistical conducting. It was the only time I ever wished for ear plugs at Benaroya Hall. After that concert, there were downcast eyes and frozen smiles up on the stage. Yesterday was different. Here's the tip-off: if the orchestra members gently stamp their feet and tap their music stands with bows during the applause then it means they liked the conductor. We liked young Jakub, too.

And I like the weather forecast this week. Some rain showers but temperatures are finally getting closer to 60. I'm happy being back in my usual routine. Look out weeds, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment