Saturday, May 14, 2011

Granola recipes

Here's a little kitchen project if you have an hour to spare this weekend. I've been making the same honey granola for years. It's filling for weekday mornings, so I eat it with plain yogurt and John with milk. Last week I found a new granola recipe in one of those in-flight magazines. John already said he wouldn't like it because "sunflower seeds don't belong in granola."

I like sunflower seeds so I made it anyway. It's good. My old recipe calls for a big blob of butter or margarine and this one has just 1/4 cup of canola oil. Maybe John will like it if he tries it.

4 cups rolled oats, wheat or barley (any combination)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (unsalted)
1.2 cup other nuts
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup raisins or dried fruit (optional)

Mix all the dry ingredients (except fruit) in a large bowl. In small bowl mix the oil, vanilla and honey. Add to the dry ingredients and mix throughly. Spray a cookie sheet with Pam and them spread the granola evenly. Bake at 325 for about 20 minutes until golden brown. Stir occasionally so it browns evenly and doesn't stick. Add the raisins in the final 5 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I think this dreary day is my day to try this out finally!

    ReplyDelete