Friday, May 13, 2011

Blogger is back

The Broken Vase
Harry Watrous

I read that there are over 156,000 million public blogs. I didn't dig deeper for the exact number, but many of these (like Feathers and Flowers) are hosted by a free Google service called Blogger. My blog has been up for almost 2 years, and I sincerely heart Blogger for all kinds of personal and boring reasons I won't go into now.

Anyway, on Thursday Blogger went down for 20.5 hours when some sort of big Google upgrade backfired. Blogger kept a million frantic bloggers informed with status updates then later apologized and blamed data corruption. During this time, not one of us could write, edit or post. Daily habits and the creative process were disrupted. Yes! people sat down with their morning cup of coffee and were denied access to their own blog. Recent posts and comments were even "lost" temporarily. Wow. That had never happened before. And of course, a cry of virtual outrage went up. What? Our free blogging service is interrupted?

Anyway, in case you even noticed the lack of a Friday posting-- I'm back.

No comments:

Post a Comment