Saturday, July 18, 2009

Western vs English riding


I admire all styles of good riding and horsemanship. If someone jumps on a horse and makes it look beautiful and easy you can bet there are hundreds (make that thousands) of hours of hard, patient work behind it. Horses can live for decades and become our dearest companions, so our relationship with them is long and complex. Such powerful animals, yet fragile and dependent on humans. If you are not used to them, the size can be intimidating-- but most horses are trusting and good-natured if they have been trained and treated kindly.
I'm not ashamed to admit my Sizzle is a bit of a "jack-of-all-trades." In her youth, she competed in rodeo speed events, but she was also a kid's lesson horse and then was shown in hunt seat and western pleasure classes. After I bought her, her life turned to clover! :-) Although I ride almost everyday, I tend to be pretty easy-going.

Even at her age, she could probably do more in the arena, but her real gift is on the trail, where her silky western gaits makes riding a real pleasure. She is also strong, smart and surefooted. At 25 she still has enough spark that I have to pay attention, so I'm never bored riding her. Would I like a younger horse? Yes! But I decided she is mine until that day comes when neither of us are having fun anymore.
I have a Tucker western saddle that is one of my prized possessions because it is so light and comfortable on the trail. A few years ago, I bought a used English saddle-- nothing fancy but something to fool around with on rainy days in the arena. But fooling around is about all it's good for, so if and when I get more serious about dressage I'll need a different style English saddle.
We have a beautiful arena to ride in, including full mirrors which are essential for schooling and training, and admiring yourself (or NOT!) Here I am, goofing off with my camera instead of working my horse!

No comments:

Post a Comment