Thursday, July 16, 2009

A bowl of cherries

I hear this has been one of the best seasons ever for Washington cherries and berries. At Safeway yesterday, yellow Ranier and red Bing cherries were piled up at each check stand-- and for the same price $1.99 a pound. (Usually, we don't see the more perishable Raniers for under $5 a pound.) Never mind the carbon footprint, hopefully you're enjoying this bumper crop in Ohio, Colorado and Montana. After I took this picture, I sat down and ate (almost) the whole bowl!

Have a wonderful Thursday, we're having a perfect stretch of summer weather here in Seattle.

4 comments:

  1. Your not alone in your sinful cherry eating! I ate a whole bag yesterday, but at the much less economical price of $2.99 a pound. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We like stopping in Wenachee to buy fruit, but when we got back to Seattle all the Washington produce was the same price or cheaper-- go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life is just a bowl of cherries.

    I have been a bit remiss in posting comments, so here are a few.

    I don't think cherries are ripe here as yet. Rebecca is not overly fond of them in any case; cherry pie is my second favorite after elderberry.

    On the other hand,R is a major fan of lilies. Come over and see how many she has planted.

    We have had a hummer stop by and peak in the windows as if curious to just observe we humans. But if you really have an urge to see them, come to the condo; we have them in flocks.

    Don Giovanni may not recall, but Grandma V had many cacti planted outside where they overwintered fairly well even in the harsher winters of Columbus. I had one offspring of hers which had wonderful orange/red blooms if properly tortured. But alas, some beast ate it when we moved here.

    Very much enjoy your musings.

    dt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dan and Becky--nice to hear from you! I noticed this weekend that the paper spine cactus is already growing some new buds. Must be impossible to kill, I will send you some pieces. I'm pretty sure it can go about 9 months without a drink.

    ReplyDelete