Thursday, July 30, 2009

Grapes and tomatoes


This hot summer must feel like heaven for the grape. We've had this vine in the same place for 25 years or so, and if I don't hack it to the ground it has fruit every fall. The raccoons have great timing, and show up for a messy grape party at the perfect moment of ripeness. I don't feel too bad about it, except they throw the skins down on the deck as they pop them out into their mouths. I planted this vine so long ago I forget the name, but believe it is an old table grape called "white concord." It is the irritating type of grape with big seeds, but tasty when very ripe. At least the raccoons think so. I have never been ambitious enough to make jelly, and the thought of raccoon saliva is not that appealing!

Every year I toy with the idea of growing more useful food instead of mostly flowers. And I could cram some plants here and there in the beds. But to have a productive vegetable garden I'd have to rip out bulbs and perennials that were planted decades ago, and that is just too depressing. We always have tomatoes and herbs in pots, and they do well on the hot south side of the house, as long as I water constantly. I like cherry tomatoes especially, they are easy to grow and I usually eat them all right off the plant while I'm outside working. John always wants a Roma, but he will not be happy to see something is boring big holes in the green fruit on his plant. The same creature does this every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment