Tuesday, August 22, 2023

"Days of miracle and wonder"

A terabyte of storage in the size of a credit card? To visualize how big a terabyte is, you could store about 100,000 smart phone photos or 250,000 documents.

I finally decided to back up my 21,000 photo library to an external drive, like any sensible archivist would have done years ago. Of course this cute blue "drive" has no moving parts at all. 

My photo collection goes back to 2004, when I was still carrying around a digital camera. There are also hundreds of old family snapshots which I laboriously, individually digitized on our flatbed scanner. How did I ever find the time? Anyway, all of these digital photos (and some videos) live on my elderly laptop. Yes, we have an Apple backup time machine in the basement, but I don't entirely trust it. And the pictures are not "in the Cloud" for a technical reason I won't bore you with.

Other people's computer problems are tedious, so I'll just say it was a false alarm the other day. A single click brought my librarian masterpiece of photo organization back into view on Photos. Duh. Operator error, of course, but I learned much in the process of muddling through. With a little help from my friends. Google has 4.3 billion users worldwide, and you can bet your problem (personal or technical) is not unique. Just ask. 

So I'm sitting by an open window, perfectly fresh air and 55 degrees outside. Almost a feel of fall in the air. All the smoke has been scoured clean out of our side of the state-- for now.  

And a pretty green dots on Purple Air. We might even get a few sprinkles of rain tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment