Thursday, December 5, 2019

What's new?


1.  When we got home last night, the tree was already delivered. Yea, that was easy.  On Saturday, we'll wrestle it into the house and hoist all the big tubs down from the attic.  Then John quietly disappears into the basement until Christmas magically appears upstairs. Hum.

2.  We watched the new "Pavarotti" movie last night. Oh, that voice. The drama, the stadiums, the opera houses, the high C's, the ladies! I'm only saying this: he's lucky he passed away before the MeToo Movement.  Just ask Placido.

3.  Volunteer mini-drama at the store yesterday.  An elderly man accidentally broke an ugly vase. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often in that cluttered mess!  Anyway, one of the stricter volunteers actually sent him up to register to pay full price for it.  Is there no compassion left in this world?  Of course, I said it was an accident, please keep your $11 and make a donation to the Senior Center if you feel bad. The poor man looked like he was going to cry from gratitude. The stern volunteer was shocked. He said, "I'm an attorney, and he is liable."  And I thought, "I'm a librarian, cut him some slack." Well. Take it out of my salary.

4. Next drama: A sketchy looking kid came in and prowled around the store for a while. I thought his pants were going to fall off.  (Why hasn't that awful look gone out of style?)  Anyway, not our usual clientele, browsing for knick-knacks.  He tried to bargain for a pair of expensive sneakers (nope) then finally decided to buy them. He reached way down into his jeans (and I mean WAY down) and pulled out a handful of crumpled up $100 bills.  Really?  I wasn't born yesterday. They looked fresh off the nearest copy machine. So there. I can be just as tough as the next one.

5.  Note: egg nog is evil and addictive. You might as well put a carton of crack cocaine in your fridge. We should not drink this luscious potion before we go to bed.  Unless we want to wake up looking like Pavarotti. I'm off to the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment