Monday, December 30, 2019

Precious cargo

A peaceful winter scene
Willamette River

We made a quick trip this weekend to visit some old friends in Milwaukee, Oregon. They have a beautiful house, workshop and garden designed for their hobbies and interests. It was inspiring-- I filed away lots of ideas for that retirement dream home someday. We had a wonderful time. Thank you Nancy, Frank and Mark for the warm hospitality! 

Nancy volunteers with the backyard wildlife program, helping homeowners meet the criteria for certification.  (I have to admit, that sounds more interesting than selling old shoes at a thrift shop.)  Anyway, she was a font of knowledge on natural plants, birds and insects, so we enjoyed talking about many of our common interests. 


Remember this bee barn I bought at Costco last year?  Nancy answered all my questions about setting it up, and even sent along a precious container of live Mason Bee larvae that should hatch in a few months.  In the meantime, they will sleep out in the garage where it stays cool.


I transferred them to this sprout growing jar, safe from nibbling mice, which I thought was rather ingenious of me.


Of course I have to remember to open the top before the weather warms and they hatch. Then they can escape, and hopefully move into their deluxe new Seattle home under the eaves.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment