Wednesday, October 23, 2019

The birds are back


After such a quiet birdie summer, it's good to see some avian activity in the yard, other than endless crows. The winter free buffet is open for business.  Suddenly there's finches, sparrows, juncos and chickadees all competing for sunflower seed. I also saw a pretty Varied Thrush yesterday, and Bewick's Wren, right on the deck railing. Wrens are usually secretive birds, so you feel privileged when one looks you right in the eye. 

We're finally drying out after days of rain. I'm going to rake leaves this morning, then walk to the store for my afternoon shift. I'm starting to enjoy this funny little job, so different from anything I've ever done. I especially like chatting with all the "interesting" people who poke around junk stores. Who knew? Guess I've lived a sheltered life. In the mistake department, I haven't made a major cash register goof in a couple weeks. (Oops,  hope I didn't just jinx myself today.)

I do have some serious news this morning. Please hold our sister-in-law Rebecca in your thoughts and prayers. We just saw her and Dan (John's brother) a few weeks ago on a quick trip through Seattle.  Unfortunately, Rebecca suffered a stroke this week. We wish her a speedy recovery.  Hopefully she and Dan will soon get back to their active lifestyle in Mexico for the winter.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you. Rebecca better today. MRI showed that only speech area was affected

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all very glad to hear that good news! Give her our very best.

    ReplyDelete