Thursday, October 17, 2019

National Pasta Day



No pasta tonight, because we had chicken parmesan with penne two dinners in a row. On Tuesday I made extra so we could have the leftovers when I got off work at the store yesterday. This made John happy, because he could eat pasta with red sauce every day of the week.   I'm trying to watch the white carbs, and I've cooked thousands of gallons of red sauce in my life, ho-hum.

But, I feel like the luckiest person in the world cooking this pasta meal: seared sea scallops with fresh tomatoes and whole wheat spaghetti. 


These giant sea scallops are a treat I buy at Costco occasionally.  They come in a big frozen bag that gets doled out over several meals.  The recipe (or I should say technique, because I just wing it) is easy and fun.  Start with a very hot skillet and brown the scallops quickly in olive oil.

Add a pat of butter and a couple cloves of minced garlic.
Then de-glaze the pan with about a cup of white wine or broth.
After it reduces somewhat, add the fresh chopped tomatoes.
Toss in the scallops and pasta. Season with salt, pepper and dried herbs like oregano.
Yes, another knob of butter to finish the sauce.

God Bless the Child.

No comments:

Post a Comment