Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Leaf work


I decided to mulch the flower bed again with leaves from the old Silver Maple across the street. The school has a new landscaping service, so I have to get my cart over there before they blow the leaves hither and thither, mostly into the street. What's the point of those obnoxious things?

But yesterday I lucked out, and scored of 3 cartloads of fluffy leaves in quick order.  And good thing, because now it's going to rain for the next 7 days. I've got the bed about 2/3 mulched. Yea.


Last October, I cut everything right to the ground and brought in all that compost. But the Autumn Sedums are still so pretty, and the birds like a bit of mess left in the winter garden. I'm just going to let things be. Maybe compost again next year.


There's always the fall dilemma of what to do with a tropical masterpiece like this.  It takes all summer for a canna to reach this state of magnificence, then our zone 7 becomes death sentence. Well, I know where to buy more next year.  Good old Costco.


I'm listening now to the rain pouring down on my fresh leaf mulch-- worm heaven out there.


No comments:

Post a Comment