Friday, October 18, 2019

Lights in the dark


We're entering The Big Dark in the Pacific Northwest, that long gloomy period between October and March when it feels like grey clouds are always overhead. In a less dramatic word, Winter.

At our latitude, Seattle has one of darkest winter seasons in the continental U.S. with less than 8 hours of daylight on the shortest days in December. And most of that is cloud covered. December is still over two months away, but the nights are "drawing in," as old folks say in England.  And with the dark and cold, our attention also draws inward to the simple comforts of home.


For most people food shopping is just a chore, but going to the grocery store is one of my sad little hobbies.  I just love looking at food and planning meals in my head.  Now I have even more choices for recreational grocery shopping. This month, two new stores opened in West Seattle, including the splendid but wildly expensive PCC (above) just a few blocks from home.


And finally, after many years of delays, Whole Foods opened near The Junction, across from their original building site, nicknamed "Hole Foods" during the great recession. I first wrote a blog about it 10 years ago! We didn't even have a Trader Joe's back then. My how things have changed.

Anyway, here it is, in all its Whole Foods glory, or I should say Amazon glory. They don't have a free "club card" like Safeway or QFC.  If you don't want to get ripped off, you need to purchase an annual Amazon Prime membership.

Welcome aboard. I get other benefits with my Prime, like video and music streaming and free 2-day shipping. So I guess it's a pretty good deal, if you use it.  I was justifying all this to John, and he said there's a reason why Jeff Bezos is worth 138 billion dollars.

Have a nice weekend, wherever you are.  We have a symphony on Sunday, Mozart's heavy duty Requiem, to set a perfect mood for the season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment