Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Hello, goodbye?


I finally got over Vashon Island yesterday to see Moe. Unfortunately, his owner had the farrier pull his shoes off for the winter. I won't ride him barefoot, both for his well-being and my safety.  She's also considering moving him to another barn. This is bad news for us. 

It was the last beautiful fall day of the year, and Marianne and I felt as depressed as Moe looks, not being able to ride. Who knows what horses really "think" but I know they enjoy getting out on the trail. And they love attention. Moe isn't abused, but he deserves more love than he gets.

I gave him a brushing and an apple then said bye. Hopefully things can still work out. It's almost impossible finding a reliable, gentle horse to ride on just an occasional basis.  I can't get over to Vashon enough to justify a full horse lease, especially in the winter.

Our rainy season is starting with a bang.  The deluge starts tonight and heavy rain continues on and off for the next week. Etc. etc. etc.


Clouds gather, treetops toss and sway;
But pour us wine, an old one!
That we may turn this dreary day
To golden, yes to golden.
Autumn has come, but never fear
Wait but a little while yet,
Spring will be here, the skies will clear,
And fields stand deep in violets...

Theodor Storm
from, "A Song in October"






No comments:

Post a Comment