Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Looking ahead


It looks like a grim winter forecast for the Northwest (Wet, or Worse!) from the Old Farmer's Almanac. Texas and Florida are the only places to be. But for now, summer is still in full swing, close to 90 today in Seattle, perhaps for the last time this year.

I found a recipe on the Internet for a spicy plum chutney. You can't have too much chutney in the pantry, much less waste plums.  Guess I'll cook up a batch before I walk to the store this afternoon in the blistering heat.  Just kidding, how pleasant it is, strolling down the street without a jacket, hood and umbrella. 

The new woman I worked with last week told the manager the cashier job was too tiring. She quit. Well, from all her complaints, I kind of suspected that. But oh dear, have I scared off a teenager and an old lady now? It's probably just the nature of volunteering, that people don't feel much commitment. What is that old saying about the key to success is "showing up?"    

I felt better when manager asked if I would mind working alone from now on since I was so responsible and capable, she could get things done in the back. So who would have guessed it?  Already clawing my way up the retail career ladder. Just by showing up.

Labor Day weekend is almost here, and I'm thinking about laboring I need to do around the house, like washing the windows inside and out, and starting to clear out the flower beds.


No comments:

Post a Comment