Monday, January 14, 2019

Weather paradise


The weather has been glorious for three days, hitting 60 degrees in some places. It feels so good being outside again. Maryanne and I went over to Vashon Island for a trail ride Friday.

After all the wind storms, we expected more trees down, but the park trails were clear and the woods peaceful in the weak midday sun. I like how Moe's pretty red coat matches the dried bracken. The forest undergrowth is about to bud out, especially if this warm weather continues.


On Saturday, I fired up the grill (Sorry, Midwest!) and made some fancy bacon-wrapped fillet steaks. I found the package in the bargain meat bin at Safeway, three steaks, originally $20, marked down to $10, then half off again. I had no idea how I'd cook them inside, but couldn't pass up a deal like that.


Oh. My. Goodness. The meat was so tender and delicious with the grilled thick apple-smoked bacon.  A totally over-the-top, indulgent dinner, but we managed to save enough leftovers for a fried egg potato breakfast and steak nacho lunch.


I did more yard work on Sunday. Once a year, I reset all the bricks around the flower beds. It's a hands and knees job, and I've learned the hard way not to do too much at once.  I also pruned the roses. 


Then John ventured out on Sunday afternoon to prune the fig tree. Another once-a-year job checked off.


Look at these cute, mischievous faces. It wouldn't be the weekend without a call to our darling girls. They are quite savvy with their Mom's iPhone, and taught Nana how we can take photos of each other while we're Facetiming.


No comments:

Post a Comment