Friday, September 22, 2017

The first day of autumn


It is the summer’s great last heat,
It is the fall’s first chill: They meet.

–Sarah Morgan Bryan Piatt

Autumn officially begins in Seattle today at 1:02 pm.  The cool, rainy weather this week felt like a preview, but we'll get another nice sunny break with temperatures back in the 70's.  Lovely weather.  There's a new long term forecast out, showing La Nina conditions trending in the Pacific ocean, which usually means a wet and cool winter. Well, what's new?  For now, there's a perfect and busy fall weekend ahead.  

I'm going over to Vashon Island this morning by myself.  My regular riding friend is off traveling, so I'm meeting up with a lady I met at the barn recently.  She is very nice and also rides an older horse.  I'm awfully cautious (OK paranoid) about who I ride with.  Everyone has a different idea of fun on the trail, and gosh, people do reckless things on horses.  I told her my idea of a fine trail-ride was "no excitement" and she agreed. 

The Ukes are playing a gig on Saturday night at a Catholic Church luau that's apparently been sold out.  How can a church event be sold out?  Anyway, only 8 of us (the first ones to RSVP) are playing. The pressure is on.  I've been practicing "Little Brown Gal," "Pearly Shells" and other great Hawaiian hits from the past.

I forgot to mention on the blog that a Seattle Times reporter surprised us at our regular Monday song circle a few weeks ago.

CLICK HERE for the article.  She did a good job showing the group's fun diversity.  Anyway, amazing what a little publicity can do.  The following week 10 new people showed up.  I don't know how many will stick with it, but it's nice seeing the group grow.

Finally, on Sunday afternoon, switching musical gears big time to Gustav Mahler.  Our first Symphony of the season.

Have a good weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment