Monday, July 24, 2017

Sky and water




Sky: bright blue, white hot, dusty yellow, giant thunderheads over distant mountains.  After another scorching day in Las Vegas, the sun finally settles down in the west, lighting up some fluffy clouds for a few seconds.  You can almost hear the sigh of relief across this vast valley after another 110 degree day.   

Water: so much we take for granted. We just turn on the tap, and out it comes.  Until it doesn't.  The water pressure seemed suspiciously low yesterday afternoon.  Since I don't know all the idiosyncrasies of this house, that set off a flurry of phone calls with Marji and the water company. No problems reported in the neighborhood. Not a good sign. I went out to the sidewalk and pulled the 800 degree metal cover off the water meter. It was, indeed, spinning like a top with no water running anywhere we could see or hear.

Fortunately, my smart sister has an insurance policy that covers the aging main line to the house.  I was filling pots and pans and preparing for the worst (a visit from the plumbing company) when I decided to check all the toilet tanks in the house.  Lo and behold, the powder room toilet was filling merrily away on automatic pilot. Apparently, that was enough to drain the pressure for the entire house.  A quick jiggle fixed the problem.  Which is about the extent of my plumbing expertise.

Marji's beautiful home is like a quiet oasis after a long morning of travel.  My flight was more-or-less on time, and the polite Uber driver brought me right out to North Las Vegas.  Dad is doing fine, and we're looking forward to spending a few nice days together.  Hopefully we got all the excitement over at once, and today is a quiet day-- the library and out to lunch.  It will be much cooler today, only 95.

Doodles misses Marji.  I'm a poor substitute, but he's making do.  He slept three inches from my face last night.  Tonight, we're making different arrangements.

No comments:

Post a Comment